Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2015/09/09/carrot-dogs/
© 2015 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
A healthier vegan hot dog option!
- 4 carrots (cut into bun lengths)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar and a dash of salt)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 T sesame oil (can be omitted)
- 2 T coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- Hot dog buns or lettuce wraps for the dogs
- Heat water in a pot large enough for the carrots. Bring to a boil. Then turn down to medium and add the carrots. Cook only until you can pierce them with a fork. Remove from pot and run cold water over them to stop them from cooking.
- In a container with a tight fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients for the marinade. Tighten the lid and shake until everything is mixed well.
- Add the carrots in a container where they can lay flat. Pour the marinade over the carrots and marinate for 3-4 hours. 24 hours max. The longer they marinate, the more vinegar flavor they take on, so if you plan on letting them marinate longer, decrease the vinegar to 1/8 cup.
- To serve, preheat and oven to 350. Bake for about 10-15 minutes. You can also grill them if you like. Serve on a toasted bun or lettuce wrap with your favorite toppings.