Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2015/12/14/cashew-caramel-squares/
© 2015 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Cashew Caramel Squares
Only 4 simple ingredients to make this healthier holiday treat!
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cashew butter (I am sure another nut butter may work too)
- 3/4 cup chopped cashews
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- In a medium sized saucepan , on medium to medium high heat, add the maple syrup and cashew butter.
- Stir well so the cashew butter can melt into the maple syrup.
- Keep cooking to let the mixture reduce. You will need to keep stirring often and you may need to turn down the heat as the mixture reduces. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Watch it very carefully. You don't want the mixture to burn or over-cook.
- Once the mixture has reduced and thickened a bit (about 15-20 minutes later), add the cashews and salt and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or so. You want it to be a syrupy consistency before you spread it on the tray.
- Pour the mixture into a parchment lined baking dish . Spread it out so it's about 1/4 inch thick. Place the baking dish in the fridge to cool for about 40 minutes.
- Once cooled, cut into squares and store in a container with parchment paper in between each layer of squares. Enjoy!!
These should last several weeks in the fridge. The may even be able to be frozen.