Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2016/08/17/red-beans-and-rice/
© 2016 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Red Beans and Rice
Super easy and budget friendly meal idea.
- 3 1/2 cups water (divided)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 stalks celery, diced (1 cup diced celery)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (1.25 cup chopped green pepper)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans or about 2 small cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Optional for heat: 1-2 jalapenos, diced
- Add 1 cup rice and 2 cups water to a pot. Bring to a boil, then turn down, cover and simmer until all the water is absorbed.
- After rice is cooked, put all the remaining ingredients in a large sauce pan on low/medium heat and cover for 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally until the onions are fully cooked and the 1 cup water has boiled off.