Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2016/11/22/chocolate-turtle-pie/
© 2016 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Chocolate Turtle Pie
Guilt-free goodness made with healthy ingredients. A rich chocolate pie covered in smooth caramel and toasted pecans. Vegan, gluten free and paleo.
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour
- 4 1/2 Tbs oil (I used almond)
- 1 1/2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1 Tbs ground flax + 1 Tbs water
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder , to taste
- 1/4 cup coconut oil , melted
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1/16 tsp almond extract
- 1/16 tsp pink salt
- 1 heaping cup Medjool dates , pitted
- Water for soaking
- Dash of pink salt , optional
- Dash of vanilla extract
- 1 cup toasted pecan halves
To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil a pie dish .
- In a mixing bowl , combine flour and salt.
- In a small cup, combine flax, water, oil and maple syrup.
- Pour wet over dry and mix well. Press into pie dish.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes until lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
To make the chocolate filling:
- Add avocados to food processor and blend well.
- Melt the coconut oil (I used a glass measuring cup in the microwave.)
- Add warm oil and remaining ingredients to taste (add more syrup or cacao, if needed).
- Spread over cooled crust. Set in the fridge while you prepare the caramel.
To make the caramel layer:
- Place pitted dates in a small bowl and cover with water (about 1/2 cup).
- Soak for 30 minutes. Remove dates from water and place in food processor, but SAVE the water.
- Blend dates, vanilla and salt then stream in water and until desired consistency is achieved (I used about 3-4 Tbs).
- Spread caramel on top of chocolate layer. Decorate with pecans.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours to set. Enjoy!
Keep refrigerated or frozen. If frozen, set out at room temp for 30-45 minutes before serving. (I LOVED it from the freezer!)
Should keep about 5 days in the fridge, but it's best consumed within 2-3 days, since the crust will soften slightly the longer it sits.
A quick and easy way to toast pecans: Place them in a dry skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and golden brown.