Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2017/01/22/healthy-lentil-stuffed-peppers/
© 2017 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Healthy Lentil Stuffed Peppers
These Healthy Lentil Stuffed Peppers are sure to please. Seasoned with homemade taco seasoning so they are very flavorful. Vegan and gluten free too!
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 1-2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced in half
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced in half
For the taco seasoning:
- Place all ingredients in a jar and mix well.
For the peppers:
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut the bell peppers down the middle long way and remove the stems and seeds.
- Brush the peppers with oil, place on a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan , bring the water to a boil on the stove top, add lentils, and cook on medium heat in a covered pot for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain any excess water after they are cooked.
- In a large saute pan , add cooked lentils, tomatoes, diced onions, and taco seasoning in a large pan and cook covered for 5 – 7 minutes on medium heat.
- Once the peppers and taco seasoned stuffing is complete, stuff the peppers with the lentil mixture and serve
These should last at least 4-5 days in the fridge. They may also freeze well, but I haven't tried yet. Enjoy!