Today this recipe for Sweet Potato Patties come’s from Ginny McMean’s new cookbook, The Make Ahead Vegan – 125 Freezer Friendly Recipes.
She is also the mastermind behind the blog, Vegan in the Freezer. Definitely check it out if you haven’t already! This recipe, like all the others is easy and budget friendly. Like this delicious sweet potato patty recipe.
Not only are there 125 recipes, but there is also great information about freezing in general. Some topics include, freeze or not to freeze, containers for freezing, prepping food for the freezer, blanching vegetables, stocking the freezer, and so much more! All of the recipes are vegan, but some are not gluten free, I’m sure you could make them gluten free with a few tweaks though.
Ginny is also running a giveaway on her site for the book. You can read more about that here.
There are so many recipes I want to try. Some of the recipes I am looking forward to are:
- Western Wontons
- Coconut Cream Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- French Onion Casserole
- Red Lentil and Rice Loaf
Now onto the recipe!
Sweet Potato Patties
Sweet Potato Patties
This is a big batch of patties. Make for a party or for freezing, so that you have easier preparation for a few meals in the future.
- 4 large sweet potatoes (about 1 pound each)
- 4 ears of corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped, and about
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from the can
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (for frying)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and poke with a knife to help to vent the stream when cooking.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Carefully squeeze the sweet potatoes at the end of cooking to make sure they give a bit and are cooked all the way through. If not, cook at 5-minute increments.
- Put the corn in a large bowl.
- Add the black beans, chipotle and adobo sauce, oats, cumin, garlic powder,and salt.
- Mix well, mashing the beans with a fork as you go.
- Scoop out the sweet potatoes and place the flesh in the bowl along with the other ingredients, except the coconut oil.
- Mix well.
- Form the mixture into about 16 patty shapes.
- At this point you may freeze the patties. Otherwise, heat the coconut oil in a skillet and cook two patties at a time, about 10 minutes on each side, until crispy. This helps the patties to stay together.
- Serve as aside dish or as a sandwich
- If freezing some or all before frying, wrap each patty individually in plastic wrap.
- Stack the wrapped patties into a freezer bag. They will keep for up to 3 months.
- To prepare, take how many patties you desire out of the freezer and defrost in the refrigerator for an hour or so. They do not have to be completely defrosted before frying.
- Frying after freezing:
- Fry in hot oil as directed
Recipe printed with permission from The Make Ahead Vegan Cookbook
9 thoughts to “Sweet Potato Patties”