When I think of summer, a few things come to mind. Popsicles and lemonade. Traditionally, these things are made with lots of sugar and other additives. Well I have come up with a few healthier alternatives. MightyNest sent me some great products to help me make these healthier treats.
Who doesn’t like a refreshing cold drink in the summer? I know I love it on hot days like today. Problem is, most store bought mixes are laden with processed sugar and chemicals. Take a look at the ingredients in this Country Time Lemonade that I got off their website. Did you notice how there are no actual lemons in the ingredients??? There are, however, lots of other unwanted additives. I have highlighted some of the nastier ones.
Ingredients: SUGAR, FRUCTOSE, CITRIC ACID, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF MALTODEXTRIN, NATURAL FLAVOR, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM CITRATE, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, CALCIUM FUMARATE, SOY LECITHIN, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, YELLOW 5 LAKE, TOCOPHEROL (PRESERVES FRESHNESS). CONTAINS: SOY.
You can almost guarantee that the soy products contain
GMOs. This is easy to make and much better!
If you don’t want a drink, you can make these into popsicles using these molds. I made mine using a juicer, but you can use a blender and strain if you like, or just make it into a lemonade smoothie! I got the idea for this after I saw all the fruits that came in my co-op basket.
- 2 lemons (remove rinds, but leave as much white as possible)
- 3 mangos (skins removed and pitted)
- 4-5 cups honey dew melon cubed
- 1-3 T of raw honey or maple syrup
- If you are using a juicer , juice all ingredients except for the honey.
- Take a taste.
- Add 1-3 T raw honey or maple syrup depending on how sweet you like it. I personally love the tarty flavor.
- If you are using a blender juice the lemon separately.
- Add the rest of the fruit and the sweetener into the blender with the lemon juice.
- Blend for about 90 seconds.
- Serve immediately or store for later. I got about 32 oz of juice out of mine. Enjoy!