On Memorial Day, my daughter wanted to have a picnic at the park. It was kind of impromptu, so we stopped by Whole Foods to pick up a few things. One thing we got was this delicious salad with wild rice and kamut. I decided right there that I would have to create my own version.
I used wheat berries and black rice instead of kamut and wild rice. It turned out even better that way. This is perfect for summer. If you have never had wheat berries, they have a nutty flavor that goes perfect with the long grain black rice. This is the kind of meal that will keep you full for quite some time. Since it contains wheat berries and black rice, it could be a complete meal as well.
Wheat Berry Salad with Cranberries
Serves 4 - 5 servings
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 cups wheat berries
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup long grain black rice
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 T fresh thyme
- 2 T fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Juice from 1 large orange or 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2-3 T oil (I used avocado oil)
- salt to taste
- Put the 2 cups of wheat berries and 7 cups of water in a large pot on the stove.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down, cover and simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions. You can even do both of these steps a day ahead if you like. I did that myself.
- Once the rice and wheat berries are cooled, add in the thyme, parsley, cranberries and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining ingredients together to make a dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the dry ingredients and mix well.
This makes at least 4-5 good sized portions. Enjoy!