This is the season when the holiday goodies are everywhere. It’s hard to resist those delicious looking sugar cookies. That is why I created a healthier sugar cookie option.
When I was pregnant with my first daughter, Meadow, I had envisioned the days when I would get to make holiday cookies with her. Now, at three, she is able to help a bit. She loved helping me roll out the dough and cut the pieces out. That is why they may not look perfect. Sometimes, as a mom, you need to just let that go and let them make their imperfect cookies. 🙂 I knew I was making memories for her.
Healthier Sugar Cookies
Serves: 18 Cookies
- 1 cup spelt flour
- ½ cup all purpose gluten free flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 T coconut oil
- 2 T applesauce
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg (I used a flax egg)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Soften the coconut oil and place it in a large mixing bowl with the sugar and applesauce.
- Mix until smooth.
- Add in egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Slowly add the flour and mix just until everything is combined.
- Gather dough up in a ball, wrap and throw into the fridge for at least an hour.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface, cut into shapes and place onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 5-7 minutes. Enjoy!