When I made my Healthy Cookie Dough Bites the other day, I thought the flavors would be a great base for Homemade Clif Bars. So, I set out to create them. A lot of readers lately have been asking if Clif bars are okay to eat. I used to but them by the case as well. I would take them to work in the days when I waited tables on the Las Vegas strip. Here are the ingredients to the Chocolate Chip Peanut bar that I got off their website:
Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch
Organic Brown Rice Syrup, ClifPro® (Soy Rice Crisps [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Barley Malt Extract], Organic Soy Flour, Organic Roasted Soybeans), Organic Rolled Oats, Organic Toasted Oats (Organic Oats, Organic Dried Cane Syrup, Ascorbic Acid, Natural Vitamin E [Antioxidant]), Organic Cane Syrup, Organic Peanut Butter (Organic Peanuts, Salt), Chocolate Chips (Dried Cane Syrup, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla Extract), Peanut Flour, Peanuts, ClifCrunch® (Organic Oat Fiber, Apple Fiber, Inulin [Chicory Extract], Psyllium, Organic Milled Flaxseed), Organic Date Paste, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt.
Wow! That’s a lot of ingredients! Soy protein isolate is a hidden form of MSG. There are also “natural flavors” in these. Those two things alone would make me put these back on the shelf nowadays. So, moving on to my homemade clif bars. My homemade clif bar recipe is great because it serves as a good base for you to add whatever kind of flavors you like.
These would go great with a glass of Homemade Almond Milk.
Homemade Clif Bars
- 15-17 medjool dates (pits removed)
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grind up the oats and almonds in the food processor.
- When they have a crumbly consistency, add the dates and coconut.
- Lastly add the water slowly as you pulse the ingredients together until a batter forms. It will be thick and sticky.
- Line an 8X8 pan with parchment paper leaving enough paper sticking out on each side so you will be able to lift the whole thing out when done.
- Working carefully, spread batter evenly out to all the sides.
- Press mixture down with a spatula to get it firm.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely before removing intact.
- Cut bars with a pizza cutter.