So I have been making my own Almond Milk for a while now. While I was writing my post on Superfoods for Good Health, I read a lot about the benefits of hemp seeds. So, I decided to make my own hemp milk too. Turns out it is even easier than almond milk.
It’s pretty good too! I haven’t been able to find store bought hemp milk that doesn’t contain large amounts of sugar. When I make my own, I can control the sugar amount. There are also no funky additives like carrageenan in this. I added ground vanilla bean
to my milk. I swear by that stuff. Worth.Every.Penny. A little goes a long way and it actually gives an impression of sweetness without adding sugar. Because there are no additives in this milk, it will separate in the fridge so you need to shake it well before you use it. I store mine in a leak-proof jar so I can shake it really well without it leaking. You will need a powerful blender, a very fine and strong cheesecloth and a mesh strainer.
Homemade Hemp Milk
- Throw everything in the blender and blend for 90 seconds or so. I used a Vitamix.
- Lay the mesh strainer across a large bowl.
- Put the cheesecloth over that.
- Slowly pour the milk out of the blender giving the cheesecloth time to drain the liquid. You may have to give the cheese cloth a little squeeze to get all the liquid.
- Repeat until all the liquid has been strained.