Sweet and sour sauce was one of those things I thought I had to give up on a whole food diet. I can’t even imagine how much sugar is actually in the store bought sweet and sour sauces. So I had to try making a homemade sweet and sour sauce recipe. Well actually, my husband came up with this sweet and sour sauce recipe and I was quite impressed!
I used buckwheat soba noodles to keep these gluten free. You could also use rice noodles. Either will work. This recipe would also be great with my homemade sriracha sauce.
Sweet and Sour Soba Noodles
An easy meal ready in under 30 minutes!
- 1 pkg buckwheat soba noodles or rice noodles
- 3 cups pea pods (about two handfuls, for prep, both the ends of the pea pods should be cut.)
- 1 small yellow onion, rough chopped
- 1 1/2 cups edamame (I used frozen and just let it thaw on the counter)
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 2 medium to large carrots cut in ribbons
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbl sp walnut oil
For the sauce
- Boil the noodles in a large pot.
- In a small bowl, whisk the ingredients for the sauce.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion in the oil for 5 to 7 minutes on medium heat until they begin to look translucent.
- Add the carrots, peppers, edamame and pea pods in and continue to saute for another 3 minutes or so. Remove from heat. If you time this right, the noodles should be done boiling.
- Add the veggie mix, noodles, and sweet and sour sauce together and serve.