I made you healthy oatmeal cookies! Just because I try to eat healthy doesn’t mean I stopped loving cookies. One of my favorite recipes before I started eating healthy was my grandmother’s oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. The original recipe called for processed flours and processed sugars. These healthy oatmeal cookies are much better for you. So have a couple. 🙂
I loaded mine up with spices so that I would need to add very little sugar. Did you know that spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla make foods appear sweeter than they are. It’s like a trick of the senses or something.
Official taste tester/beater cleaner. 🙂 What were some of your favorite cookies?
Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Healthy Oatmeal Cookies!
The taste of the traditional recipe, with healthier ingredients!
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg (I used a flax egg. 1T flax meal + 3 T water)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 2-3 T milk (I used homemade almond milk )
- 1 tsp ground vanilla beans or vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 T molasses (optional)
- 1/3 cup carob chips, non dairy chips or even sub for raisins
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in one bowl .
- Mix dry in another.
- Add wet to dry.
- Fold in chips.
- Bake on a lined baking sheet or greased pan for about 13-15 minutes or until edges come out lightly browned.
- These are so good that I eat at least 3 of them when they first come out of the oven. So does Meadow.