I am a big fan of bran muffins. They taste good, travel well and even freeze well. Problem is, most of them contain too much fat and sugar. Personally, I like a bran muffin without raisins. They are pretty hard to find. When I lived in Boston, I used to LOVE Stop and Shop bakery bran muffins. Knowing what I know now, I would be scared to look at the ingredients! So here is my healthier alternative, which, by the way, my three year old loves.
Feel free to add raisins if you like. 🙂 I have added blackberries before and they were good! My daughter ate one right after they came out of the oven and immediately asked for a second.
Does anyone else have a weird food thing like I do about raisins in bran muffins?
Yummy Bran Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups of wheat bran
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup non dairy milk (I used homemade almond. For that recipe, click here)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup + 1 T applesauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, add milk to the 1 1/2 cups bran and let it soften for about 8-10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, add maple syrup, vanilla, and applesauce.
- After the bran is softened, add it to the maple syrup mixture.
- Lastly, add in the flour and mix only until combined.
- Spoon into muffin cups and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I got 12 muffins out of this recipe. Hope you like them!