4 Ingredient Healthy Buckeyes. Do you know what buckeyes are? I made some healthy buckeyes for you! Buckeyes are a dessert that originates in Ohio.
According to Wikipedia, the buckeye candy resembles the buckeye tree, which is the state tree in Ohio. I am not from Ohio and I have only driven through it a couple times.
However, I have had buckeye candy and it’s delicious! So I had to create a healthier version.
Basically, it’s a peanut butter fudge which is covered almost entirely in chocolate. You can’t really go wrong when you think about peanut butter and fudge right? Well traditional buckeyes are made from powdered sugar and other processed ingredients.
Not mine! All you need is 4 ingredients to make my version. If you like recipes with minimal ingredients, you may also like this post with 20 healthy dessert recipes with 5 ingredients or less.
You guys! This recipe is seriously easy to make! The balls themselves have no added sugar. The chocolate chips contain a little. Not much when you think of how thin the layer of chocolate around the ball is.
These healthy buckeyes are vegan, gluten free and grain free. I hope you enjoy them. As you read this, I am on my way to Florida for my family’s first real vacation together ever.
My husband and I never even got a honeymoon, so this trip is huge for us! We are super excited to be able to take the kids to Disney. Why am I telling you this?
Just to let you know that it may take me a little longer than usual to answer any questions/comments you may have.
During the time that I am gone, I do have several guest posts lined up, so stay tuned. In the meantime, I plan to be posting a little about our trip on Instagram. Feel free to follow along. Onto the recipe.
Just like the traditional buckeyes, but made healthier. Only 4 ingredients!
- Drain the dates and rinse.
- Place them in a food processor and blend until you get a paste. You will probably need to scrape the sides down several times.
- Once you have a date paste, add in the peanut butter and continue to blend until both ingredients are incorporated. You can add a little salt at this time if you like. I did not add any.
- Roll the mixture into balls and place on a lined baking sheet .
- Stick a toothpick into each ball.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- While the balls are in the freezer, make the chocolate.
- To melt the chocolate use a double boiler. Bring a saucepan to a boil. Place a glass bowl on top of the saucepan. Add the chocolate chips and almond milk to the glass bowl .
- Gently melt the chocolate and stir often.
- Once all the chocolate is melted, hold the toothpick and roll each ball into the chocolate. Leave a little bit of peanut butter showing through.
- Once all the balls are rolled in the chocolate, set them back on the lined baking sheet and stick in the fridge to set. It should not take long.
Once the chocolate has set, you can store these in the fridge or freezer. They should keep a couple weeks in the fridge and several months in the freezer. Enjoy!