I just love pizza. Lately, I have been using Ezekiel sprouted wheat tortillas for my crust. Today, I decided to try my hand at homemade whole wheat crust. Mostly, because I was not in the mood to go to the store to get more tortillas. I am glad I did because the pizza came out amazing! I chose mushroom and spinach because those are my favorite pizza toppings.
So, being vegan and all, I had to find a way to make a good pizza with out cheese. I mean, I could do the vegan cheese, but it is far too processed for my liking. So to get around that, I decided to make a “cheese” out of caramelized onions.
Rustic Vegan Pizza
What are your favorite pizza toppings?
Yields 1 pizza
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 pkg yeast
- 2 T oil (I used almond oil, but your could use coconut or grapeseed oil too)
- 1 T raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced thin
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 T oil (I used almond oil)
- salt to taste
- Mix the dry ingredients and stir.
- Then add the wet.
- Mix with your hands until you get a nice dough formed.
- Cover and place in a warm spot for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough.
- Place dough on a floured pizza stone and brush top with oil.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Sweat the onions in a covered pan with the oil and salt on medium heat until they look caramelized.
- Add the onions to the pizza dough to create a cheese layer.
- Once the onions are evenly spread out, add the mushroom and the spinach.
- Place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
If you are a cheese eater, feel free to add cheese to this. However, I think it is great just how it is! For another pizza recipe, click here.