Hooray! Warm weather is here. At least, in Texas it is. So it’s time to start breaking out the ice cream maker. I already have a Cookie Dough Ice Cream and a 5 Minute Banana Ice Cream on the blog. Now it’s time to add another: Strawberry Ice Cream. Who doesn’t like strawberry ice cream? I know I love all things ice cream, especially strawberry ice cream.
I use canned coconut milk as a base for all my ice cream recipes for a few reasons. It has that rich taste and mouth feel of real ice cream and it is dairy free. I have tried using just nut milk, but it never comes out as creamy. Since this is so rich tasting, a little bit will satisfy you. You can use either fresh or frozen strawberries for this. We used fresh organic strawberries since they were on sale the other day at Whole Foods. They were so sweet and yummy! Most store bought ice creams contain carrageenan and other unwanted additives. The organic stuff is always so expensive. The ice cream maker is pretty affordable and you make your money back pretty quick. Plus, you can create your own flavors! 🙂
Strawberry Ice Cream
Yields 4 - 6 servings
10 minPrep Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 can coconut milk or 2 cups whole milk if you prefer dairy
- 2-3 T maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean
- 1 cup sliced strawberries (fresh or frozen work)
- Mix the coconut milk, vanilla bean and the sweetener in a bowl.
- Pour the contents in the ice cream maker. I used my Cuisinart.
- When the ice cream starts looking like it is coming together (after about 15 minutes), add the strawberries.
- The ice cream will be more of a soft serve consistency. If you like harder ice cream, you can stick it in the freezer for another 1 1/2 hours. That’s it. Enjoy!