I have been thinking about doing a pop tart recipe for quite some time. After I wrote about Pop Tarts and Their False Health Claims, I knew I would never buy those again. You can get decent store bought pop tarts with the Nature’s Path brand, but I wanted a homemade pop tart version as well. Now, I know that store bought pop tarts are normally crisp. I tried two batches and mine didn’t get crispy. Mine are on the softer side. Most likely due to the applesauce and coconut oil. However, all my taste testers thought they were good. So I thought I would share anyway. 🙂 Maybe if you put them in a toaster oven, they will crisp up.
Healthy Pop Tarts
Yields 15 pastries
30 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 flax egg
- 1 tsp ground vanilla bean or extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup almond milk (I used oat milk. Add it slowly just to give the dough a little moisture.)
- Your favorite fruit spread
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl |.
- Mix wet in another bowl |.
- Add dry to wet and mix until combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and place it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- Once the dough is firm, cut two pieces of parchment paper the size of your baking sheets .
- Lay one of the sheets out on the counter.
- Using a bench scraper , cut the dough in half.
- Using a rolling pin , roll the dough ball out onto the parchment, putting the plastic wrap between the rolling pin and the dough.
- Rolling it onto the parchment will make for easy transfer to the baking sheets .
- Try to roll the dough into a square shape. Roll out to about 1/4 in thickness.
- Using a pizza cutter , cut the dough into even squares.
- Put a spoonful of jam on a square and cover with another square of dough.
- Use a fork to press the sides together.
- Repeat this until all have been done.
- Do all the same steps with the other half of the dough.
- Transfer the parchment paper onto the baking sheet and put in the oven.
- Bake for about 15-17 minutes.
I got 15 small sized pop tarts out of my batch. These should last a couple weeks in the fridge. You can also freeze them for longer storage. Enjoy!