Twix bars used to be my favorite, so naturally I had to come up with a recipe for vegan twix bars. These homemade twix bars are not only vegan, but they are also gluten free. These vegan twix bars only contain 9 ingredients and are super easy to make! I used chocolate chips for the coating, but you could also use my 3 ingredient chocolate recipe.
I have to be honest. These don’t taste exactly like twix bars, but they are still very delicious. I had a hard time keeping my hands off them! I hope you enjoy them as well.
Vegan Twix Bars
Homemade Vegan Twix Bars
A homemade version of the popular candy bar!
For the cookie
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (measure after melting)
- 2 flax eggs
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the caramel
- 10 pitted medjool dates soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1 T water
For the chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a bowl , mix the dry ingredients for the cookies.
- In another bowl , mix the wet.
- Add wet to dry and mix until everything is combined.
- Stick the bowl of dough in the fridge for 20 minutes. This allows it to firm up slightly so you can form it into bars.
- Once the dough is a little firm, form it into thin bars and place on a lined baking sheet . The dough may still be a bit sticky. Mine were about 3 inches long.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Let cool completely.
- While the cookies are baking, you can make the caramel. Drain the dates and dump them into a small blender or food processor . I used the Twister jar on my Blendtec and it was perfect. Blend the dates into a caramel. You may need to add 1-2 tablespoons of water to get the consistency right.
- Once the cookies are cooled, spread a caramel layer onto the tops of each.
- Place the cookies on a parchment lined plate and stick in the fridge while you make the chocolate coating.
- To make the chocolate use a double boiler. Fill a pot with water, bring it to a boil, and place a glass bowl on top of the pot. Put the chocolate chips and almond milk in the glass bowl. This will allow the chocolate to gently melt.
- Once the chocolate has melted, spoon it on top of the bars. Place the covered bars back in the fridge to firm up. Should take an hour or two. You could probably place them in the freezer to speed up the process.
Keep these bars in the fridge or freezer. Enjoy!