It’s been a very mild fall here so far, but it’s finally starting to get cooler. Perfect soup weather. Creamy Broccoli Potato Soup weather to be exact. This soup is great because it uses potatoes to add a creamy texture so no heavy cream is necessary.
Another great thing about this soup is that it only takes about 30 minutes to make. Easy peasy and totally delicious.
This healthy soup recipe is vegan, gluten free and grain free. It also freezes well and it’s budget friendly. I used nutritional yeast to add a cheesy flavor, but you can omit if you like. Or, if you eat dairy, you could add a little cheese in place of it.
Next time, I will try this in the instant pot. I bet you could cut the cooking time way down that way. I will keep you posted. 🙂
Creamy Broccoli Potato Soup
Yields 4 - 5 servings
A healthy and easy soup that freezes great. Very budget friendly too. Vegan and gluten free.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 3 golden russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 1/4 cups vegetable broth , divided
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- sea salt to taste
- In a large stock pot , on medium heat, saute the onions and garlic in 1/4 cup vegetable broth , stirring often.
- Add the diced potatoes, nutritional yeast, and 3 cups vegetable broth to the pot, turn heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully blend the soup using an immersion blender .
- Add the broccoli and almond milk, put back on a low temp, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, salt to taste and blend through with the immersion blender again.
This should last at least 5 days in the fridge and you can also freeze it for up to 6 months. Enjoy!