Spring is here and in Texas the weather is starting to get warm. I have been trying to come up with a bunch of healthy options for outdoor parties. I already have my Dairy Free Potato Salad and my Pineapple Mango Salsa. Now I have a macaroni salad to add to the list.
Most traditional macaroni salad is swimming in mayo. Not this. This is another meal that is really easy to put together. I used brown rice pasta for this recipe so it is gluten free as well. Since I added the chickpeas, it can be a complete meal and not just a side dish. The golden balsamic and the pomegranate molasses give it a slightly sweet taste. Both really make the dish. You can find the pomegranate molasses at most health food stores.
Macaroni Salad with Chickpeas
Serves 4 servings
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 cups cooked macaroni (I used brown rice pasta)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup chives chopped
- 1 yellow pepper rough chopped
- 1 can or 2 cups chickpeas
- 2 T golden balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 T avocado oil
- salt to taste
- Cook the macaroni according to the box instructions.
- Let cool.
- Add all the ingredients in one bowl and mix to serve.
This just gets better as it marinates in the fridge. I like it better the next day. It should keep for about a week. We got about 4 servings out of this. Enjoy!