Quinoa is not just for savory dishes. It can be used in many sweet recipes such as this Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Bake. Even those this Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Bake closely resembles muffins, I decided they were a little too soft to call them muffins. These almost remind me of my baked oatmeal recipes. This is the kind of breakfast you eat with a fork more than your hand. If you like baked oatmeal, but do not tolerate oats well, this is the perfect alternative. Not only is this Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Bake tasty, it also has no added sugars! I sweetened mine with dates, apples and applesauce.
This Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Bake is vegan and gluten free. I made mine into jumbo sized muffins, but you can probably bake the whole thing in a pan as well. You may have to adjust the cooking time though. This would make a great weekend breakfast. Your house will smell amazing as it cooks too!
Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Bake
Yields 3 jumbo or 6-7 standard
A healthy breakfast perfect for the weekends!
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 10-12 medjool dates (pits removed and soaked in water for 30 minutes)
- 1 small apple grated
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 flax eggs (real eggs work too)
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- pinch nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Drain the dates.
- In a food processor , combine the dates and quinoa and mix together. Then add in the remaining ingredients until everything is mixed well.
- Transfer batter into muffin pans or a baking dish .
- I used jumbo muffin pans and got 4. I baked the jumbo muffins for 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely before removing from the muffin liners.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
These should last in the fridge for about a week. You can also freeze them for longer storage. Enjoy!