Omg you guys! Lentil Sloppy Joes! Where have these been my whole life??? Seriously delish. The first batch of lentil sloppy joes went so fast that I had to immediately make a second batch. I got the idea when someone posted a picture of their dinner in the Facebook group I run. The girl who posted said she made up the recipe in her head with no measurements.
So I searched Pinterest and found this recipe. I made mine slightly different with a few less ingredients. Trying to keep things simple. I used lettuce wraps for my lentil sloppy joes, but you can also use burger buns if you prefer. If you love lentils, you may also like my red lentil soup and my green lentil salad.
These healthy sloppy joes are vegan and gluten free. Very easy and kid friendly too. You can eat them in a lettuce wrap like I have pictured, or you can serve them over a baked sweet potato. I have also added avocado and vegan sour cream to this. The sour cream is so good!
I filmed a short video for this recipe. You can view it below. For more videos, you can subscribe to my You Tube channel.
Lentil Sloppy Joes
Yields 10 servings
Delicious and easy vegetarian lentil sloppy joes.
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 red peppers diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup ketchup (I used homemade )
- 2 T yellow mustard
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups red lentils (rinsed and picked over)
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 T coconut sugar
- sea salt to taste
- In a large saute pan , brown onion and peppers for 3 to 4 minutes on high.
- Then add everything else, reduce heat. Cover and let simmer for 30 to 40 minutes on low. Once the lentils are cooked and the mixture is thickened, it's done.
- Serve in burger buns or on lettuce wraps.
- This mixture should last at least a week in the fridge. Enjoy!