When you start reading all about eating healthy, there are certain foods that come up. Kale, chia seeds, goji berries and maca are just some of them. I was curious about maca root powder, so I had to get a bag to try out. It is pretty pricey, but it lasts a long time. Kind of like the chia seeds. Maca root is a tuber, kind of like a potato. It is very well known as a natural energy booster. It can also help with hormonal issues such as menopause and fertility. Maca is rich in B vitamins as well. So I decided to make an energy bar with it. This energy bar is not only vegan, but grain free and gluten free too.
Maca Energy Bars
- In a food processor, grind the almonds into a course consistency.
- Add them to a bowl with the sunflower seeds, maca powder, flax meal, pepitas, chia seeds and salt.
- In a saucepan, combine the maple syrup, almond butter and coconut oil.
- Mix until all are well combined.
- Add it to the bowl with the dried ingredients.
- Tear a sheet of parchment slightly bigger than an 8X8 pan.
- Line an 8X8 pan with the paper.
- Spread in the mixture and pack down tight .
- Place in the fridge to set. About 1 hour.